Saturday, November 5, 2011

Archeage Combat Trailer



This combat trailer I found on BetaCake showcases some of the combat mechanics in the upcoming MMORPG by XLGames, Archeage.

There are quite a few points of interest in this preview.

First off, while the video is pixelated, the quality of the graphics is apparent, and only one word comes to mind: wow! Early in the video you can spot a few Asian-themed buildings that look absolutely gorgeous. Pause a few times throughout and you can see XLGames has definitely paid attention to detail.

At 0:12 there seems to be a ship coming through some sort of portal. I wonder what that's all about? Speaking of the ships though, the mounts and vehicles in this game are fairly varied. Aside from the usual horses; airships, gliders, boats, and more unique land mounts all seem to be common in the Archeage world. Though so far they've only revealed three land mounts - I may be spoiled, but I do hope there are more.

As for the combat, I'll have to play it to know for sure, but so far I'm impressed with what I see. The skills seem dramatic in scale, as we witness a mage levitating giant crab-monsters, or a warrior-type charging into his foe.

But perhaps the most impressive element is the enemy NPCs. From the sea monster to the horde of zombies being AoE'd away, everything seems very polished. And that rock dragon pictured towards the end of the video is very detailed!

I'm very excited for this game, and am becoming increasingly impatient as more information is released.