Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Results of the Poll Are In! (Genre)

So according to the very small amount of people who answered the survey, it was a toss-up between sword and sorcery, and high fantasy.

Both are very similar, so we'll just assume that most people expect MMORPGs to be of the fantasy variety. And that's understandable - most of them are. Deviating from the norm can sometimes be successful, but in our perfect game I'll agree that, for the genre, let's stick to what we know.

Fantasy, for all intents and purposes, is a catch-all genre. We can, and will, do whatever we want or need to do. If we had a realistic MMORPG, it would be very difficult to explain instant travel, or the fact that we seem to have an endless supply of wolves and ogres to kill.

Anyway, for the next poll, what I want to ask you guys is how you feel about classes? I'm talking about character classes of course, and so the question I'm asking you is do you prefer classless advancement systems, or class systems?

If you prefer no classes, do you like advancement to be streamlined? Or do you like micromanagement?

If you prefer classes, do you prefer lots of class choices, or minimal classes?

This may sound funny, but after much thought on the subject, I personally prefer classes - and lots of them. Balancing is always an issue, no matter which direction you choose to go in. But with lots of classes, I'm almost guaranteed to feel unique in-game. That's just my opinion, though, and I'm really interested in your opinion! So the poll will be up on the right hand side soon, vote!